Welcome to LaST
Building intergenerational connections
face to face and online
What is LaST?
LaST (Learning and Sharing Together) is an intergenerational programme which has been created and successfully used in Burnham, Buckinghamshire since 2002. Bringing the generations together through shared learning activities, LaST has been developed for children aged 9 to 11 and older people aged 60 and above.
Designed to be run as a partnership project between a primary school and a local group of older people, LaST is ideally suited for use in sheltered housing schemes, residential care, day care or many other community settings.
Read what headteachers, older people and children in Burnham have said over the years and watch our video to listen to what children and older people told us in the summer of 2020 about the afternoons they spent together in 2019.
Whilst LaST has been developed for face to face meetings we have successfully adapted it to an online format during Covid to enable distanced participation.
Here are some of the many benefits of LaST:
- It helps to build self esteem and confidence, reduces loneliness and isolation, positively impacting on older people’s and children’s sense of wellbeing, in line with the Five Ways to Wellbeing approach championed by the NHS.
- It has an important educational role, reinforcing and complementing classroom learning. It makes history come alive and helps to deliver on specific requirements of the National Curriculum with regard to the development of language and literacy. It also links with Ofsted’s Guidance on Personal Development and the Relationships and Health Education Curriculum.
- Celebrates old memories and creates new memories for all
- Helps build a caring and connected community and fosters greater understanding, tolerance and respect between the generations, reducing stereotypes.
- And, very importantly, older people and children want to be involved because LaST is FUN!
The LaST Toolkit
We have created this toolkit based on 18 years’ experience in Burnham. It includes detailed guidance to help you get started and everything you need to run your own intergenerational programme for a school year based on 30 themed modules. Each module contains a detailed session plan and all the material you should need to run a 90 minute session – such as a factsheet, quiz, crossword and/or other games.
The Burnham Intergenerational Programme is one of the longest running and most highly regarded initiatives of Buckinghamshire based charity, Burnham Health Promotion Trust. We are passionate about the many benefits that can come from building intergenerational connections and would love to see our Programme replicated in other communities so we have created The LaST Toolkit in order to share our experience, ideas and materials.